Friday, March 14, 2008

Third Week Assignment

Describe One Significant Activity Or Project That You Have Completed Or Are Working On Currently.

Developing film is one significant activity I am working on currently at my internship. Let's start with Developing Film Process:

  1. Developer: 9-12 minutes. Agitate every 30 seconds for 5 seconds, and tap the container to eliminate bubbles.
  2. Stop: 30 seconds. Constantly Agitate! No tapping! Save the stop.
  3. Fixer: 5 minutes. Agitate every 30 seconds for 5 seconds. No tapping! Save the fixer.
  4. First wash: Wash with water for 5 minutes.
  5. Permawash: Agitate 2 minutes, no stopping!
  6. Final wash: 3 minutes.
  7. Photoflo: Let film submerge for at least 1 minute.
  8. Carefully hang your film.

I already have done it 2 times and developed 5 films. Now, all i have are negatives from those films. For example let's take the film that i have been shooting in Philadelphia. We all know shooting process: focusing, aperture, shutter speed etc. When the film is finished it is time to it be developed. So before i take the film out of the camera we need to rewind it, so it will not expose to light. Once we ve finish it i take it to the dark room. Here i have my film, tank with things inside to put film in, seassors and the thing you open your beer with. Lights go off, im completely in the dark. I take the beer thing and open the film like a bottle, then pop out the film. Now i have film in my hands. I take the seassors and cut the beginning of the film like 5-7 cm. It is besically the first shoots that were exposed to light. As i got this right i start to put film into the thing that wind film. There is a littel hole where film gotta be and then things will go easy. So i wind it and wind. At the end of the film i cut the stem out. So now pure film is on the winder, and i put winder to the tank(container) and close it up. I make sure that it is closed good so light won't get it. I turn on the light and ready to develop it. The steps of film developing is provided above. Well, working with chemicals is cool, but the process itself is kind of boring.

Next week i m going to make a contact sheet, to see which picture i would like to make and finally i ll bring it to life. Like we see any other pictures in the stores.

3 comments:

Mr. Andrew said...

Awesome! My sister did some work in a dark room before and it sounded like a cool experience. All of the chemicals kind of make me nervous, but it sounds like something that you really enjoyed. What a cool internship. -AS-

Nafi T said...

Woooow Dima, I'm impressed. This must have been fun, wasn't it. It's cool to work in a dark room, and know how develop pictures. Nice work Dima!!!!!!!

kermide said...

whats up Dima nice blog and I hope u continue 2 enjoy ur internship site.